This is the second recipe in the The Ardent Prep series “Ground Turkey, Quinoa, and Zucchini.” To view the original blog post, click here. To view the other two recipes in this series, click the links at the bottom of the page. I hope you enjoy this prep series!
1/2 cup prepared quinoa
1lb ground turkey (raw)
3/4 tsp onion powder
2-3 TBSP flour
3 TBSP barbecue sauce, plus more for serving
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1 apple, such as honey crisp, core removed and thinly sliced crosswise
4 hamburger buns
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa, ground turkey, onion powder, flour, barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix until just combined. Shape into four equal patties.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet set to medium heat. Cook burgers, about 5-6 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit. When the burgers are almost completely cooked, top each patty with a slice of the sharp cheddar and allow it to melt.
- While the burgers cook, set the oven to Broil. Place cherry tomatoes on a rimmed sheet tray and coat in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watching carefully. The tomatoes will begin to burst at the seams and pucker slightly as they get hot.
- Toast burger buns under the broiler if desired, and slather with additional barbecue sauce. Place the burger on the bun, followed by the slice of apple. Feel free to add additional toppings of your choice, such as sliced onion, lettuce, mayo, etc.
- Serve burgers with the burst tomatoes and the remaining cubed and roasted zucchini from prep day. Summer came early!