The weather is hot and all I want to do is sip cocktails and eat appetizers at an outdoor restaurant setting, which for most people is starting to happen. However, with reopening also comes people flocking to restaurants and very long wait times to get a table.
When tragedy strikes with the restaurant waiting list, head home and whip up some of this delicious guacamole to satisfy your happy hour needs! It’s loaded with grilled corn and goat cheese, fresh lime juice, and cilantro and pairs so well with the smoky-sweet flavor of the sweet potato wedges. While I still love a traditional crunchy tortilla chip loaded with guac, the sweet potatoes are a unique flavor combo that I can’t get enough of.
The recipe provided directions for charring the sweet potatoes on the grill, but if you don’t have a grill you can easily do them in a hot cast iron skillet. You just want to make sure you consistently turn the wedges to avoid burning. We want char, but we don’t want ash.
When I tested this recipe, I served the guac with cilantro as a garnish because Jeff hates the stuff. However, if I wasn’t living with a cilantro-hating crazy person who eats 90% of the recipes I test, I would’ve loaded it up with chopped cilantro in the guac and also as a garnish, because I LOVE it. Do what makes you happy, though.
I hope you enjoy this different take on a classic appetizer, and happy weekend! Share your photos and thoughts by tagging me @theardentcook on Instagram!
2 ripe avocados
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
1 ear “Best-Ever Grilled Corn”
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
Juice of ½ lime, plus more for serving
Cilantro, for garnish
¼ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for grilling
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch wedges and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill the sweet potatoes until charred and tender on the inside, approximately 5 minutes per side. If you notice they are burning too quickly before the inside cooks through, transfer them to the upper rack of the grill or lower the heat.
- Make the guacamole. Cut the kernels off of one ear of “Best-Ever Grilled Corn.” Add corn, avocados, lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl and mash to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the crumbled goat cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, and an extra sprinkle of flaky salt.
- Serve immediately to avoid browning of the avocado. Enjoy!