I posted a question box on my Instagram stories yesterday and was surprised that one of the most requested recipes was for summer salad ideas. Coincidentally, and luckily, I had already tested and photographed this delicious summer salad. The flavor combo is super unique, but trust me- it works.
I paired honeydew melon (one of my favorites) with salty feta cheese, grilled corn, and lemony basil pesto all on a bed of green leaf lettuce from my garden. To make it a real dinner salad, I topped it all with easy grilled pork tenderloin. It’s so fresh and can be eaten on the patio on a muggy summer night without causing you to break a sweat. Winner winner!
To make the lemony basil pesto, simply go the cheater route as I do. It’s literally just store-bought basil pesto (whatever your favorite brand is) mixed with the juice and zest of 1/2 lemon. Easy-peasy. As for the melon, if you hate honeydew (which I can’t even imagine), feel free to swap it for another melon variety such as watermelon on cantaloupe.
I love to serve this salad in large pieces, as I’ve shown in the photo. I cut the melon and feta into big wedges so each person gets a few on their plate. If that’s not your vibe, feel free to cube everything up to make it more of a chopped salad. It’ll still taste great whichever method you choose!
If you give this recipe a try, share all the photos of you enjoying it with a crisp glass of white and tag me @theardentcook on Instagram so I can see them! I hope you love this light summer dish.
1 pork tenderloin, about 1-1.5lbs
Lettuce, such as butterhead or green leaf
2 cups honeydew melon, sliced into wedges
½ cup feta cheese, sliced into wedges
¾ cup Best-Ever Grilled Corn, off the cob
¼ cup basil pesto
Juice and zest of ½ lemon
Fresh herbs, such as basil or cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the grill to high. Season the pork with olive oil, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Grill for approximately 12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the grill and cover tightly with foil. Let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Make the lemony basil pesto. Combine 1/4 cup of your favorite store-bought pesto with the juice and zest of one lemon. If desired, add a pinch of crush red pepper flakes. Whisk until combined.
- Assemble the salad. Place the lettuce in a layer on the bottom of a large serving plate. Arrange the honeydew and feta wedges and scatter the grilled corn. Thinly slice the grilled pork against the grain and arrange on the platter.
- Drizzle the platter with the lemony basil pesto and add fresh herbs to garnish. Serve immediately with a crisp glass of Pinot Grigio! Enjoy!