I know what you’re thinking…. why would I ever make a hot curry in the summer? I normally would agree with you! Unless of course you live in the Philadelphia area, where it has decided to rain/thunderstorm every single night the past two weeks. Thunderstorms call for comfort food, and this easy curry hits the spot.
Healthy enough for a weeknight dinner, this curry features the usual Thai-inspired aromatics such as garlic, ginger, and coconut milk. I also throw in a jalapeño for heat, and fresh-squeezed lime juice for brightness. I absolutely love loading in all the spinach as the recipe calls for, and occasionally some broccoli or zucchini for extra veggie content. The meatballs make this curry feel more fun, plus the meatballs themselves are loaded with flavor as well!
I serve this dish over steamed rice or rice noodles for a complete meal, but I’m sure it would be delicious over other things such as cauliflower rice or mashed sweet potato. Get creative and don’t forget to load on that sauce!
I absolutely love seeing what recipes you all are making, and there’s nothing better than getting a tag on Instagram (@theardentcook) with a photo of a finished dish from a reader. I can’t wait to see how your photos of this curry turn out! Enjoy!
2lbs ground chicken
1 jalapeno, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 4-inch piece ginger, minced
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
3 cups baby spinach
1 14oz can full-fat coconut milk
3 tbsp soy sauce, divided
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp honey
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
Steamed rice, for serving
- Finely mince the jalapeno, garlic, and ginger. Add half to a large mixing bowl and set the rest aside.
- To the large mixing bowl, add the ground chicken, cilantro, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and a few cracks of salt and pepper. Mix and form into several 1 ½ inch meatballs.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the meatballs until they are evenly browned. They may not be fully cooked through before browning occurs, which is okay. They will finish cooking in the broth.
- Once all the meatballs are cooked, set them aside and lower the heat. Add the remaining half of the minced ginger mixture and saute until lightly browned and fragrant, about a minute. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, honey, and remaining 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium heat and allow it to simmer for about 2 minutes. Add the meatballs back in and cook the soup for another 5-7 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in the spinach and lime juice, and taste for salt and pepper. Season accordingly.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice, or store in an airtight container for an easy meal prep throughout the week. Enjoy!