It’s zucchini season, which, if you’re a home gardener, means stressful times trying to figure out how to use the plethora of zucchini you grew! Thankfully it’s one of my favorite vegetables, so I use it any and every way I can (which rarely disappoints).
The combination of zucchini and corn is a summer staple for me. The flavors pair so nicely, especially with something spicy alongside. This pizza is incredible, and uses all of the best parts of summer piled onto crust with cheese, garlic, and a spicy honey that takes 20 seconds to make. What could be better?
A quick note on dough- I have yet to develop my own pizza dough recipe that is better than any of the ones I’ve tried that already exist on the internet. So, at the risk of butchering an already-great thing by making my own, I use someone else’s. My favorite homemade dough is by one of my favorite food bloggers, Tieghan of Half Baked Harvest. She’s got a wonderful no-knead dough recipe in her second cookbook, Half Baked Harvest Super Simple. If I don’t feel like making my own, or I don’t have as much time, I’ll opt for a store-bought dough, either from the deli section of my grocery store or from our neighborhood pizza shop! Do whatever works for you!
Give this a try over the weekend and share your photos (and tag me @theardentcook on Instagram) so I can see what you’ve all been up to! Enjoy!
1 medium zucchini, sliced into ⅛-¼ inch rounds
2 ears corn, husked
½ pound low-moisture mozzarella, shredded
½ pound ball fresh pizza dough
4 ears garlic, minced
2 tablespoons honey
⅛ tsp crushed red chili flake
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450. Arrange zucchini rounds and husked corn on a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the zucchini has sweat out some moisture and is beginning to brown around the edges. Cut the corn off of the cob and set vegetables aside.
- Raise the oven temperature to 500. Place a clean sheet tray or pizza stone inside the hot oven and allow it to preheat for 5 minutes.
- While the pan preheats, stretch the pizza dough into a round or oblong shape, about ½ inch thick. Remove the pan from the oven (it will be hot) and drizzle the pan with olive oil. Lay the dough carefully onto the hot oiled pan.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil around the dough and sprinkle the minced garlic evenly over it. Layer the shredded mozzarella, zucchini, and corn over the dough. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10-13 minutes, until the crust is browned and crisp on the underside. Once the bottom crust has achieved browning, turn the oven to Broil and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the top is browned and outer edges of crust are crisp to your liking.
- While the pizza bakes, make the chili honey. Place the honey and chili flakes into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 15-20 seconds, until the honey is thinner in consistency and the chili flakes can easily be stirred in. Set aside while the pizza finishes.
- Allow pizza to cool slightly and set up, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Drizzle the chili honey over the top- use as much or as little as you like for heat and sweetness- and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!