The start of the week always leaves me hankering for a sweet treat, so I usually try to come up with something fun for dessert that’s delicious yet still adult. One of my favorite childhood snacks were Rice Krispies Treats in the blue foil packages. They NEVER disappointed. As I’ve gotten older and become more picky about the food I eat and how it’s made, I’ve moved away from Kellogg’s and endeavored to create my own rice cereal treats.
Insert these Chocolate Pistachio Rice Crispy Treats. They’re made with better ingredients, like sprouted brown rice crisps and all-natural marshmallows. However, if you aren’t into that type of stuff and would rather use the original products in all their glory, you can rest assured that these still taste BOMB with the typical stuff. I wanted to amp these up even more, so I added pistachios and dark chocolate (one of my favorite combos). Topped with flaky sea salt, these babies are loaded with deliciousness and feel sophisticated to boot.
The only real “cooking” involved with these treats is melting the butter and marshmallows on the stovetop, and the chocolate in the microwave. Everything else is simply chilling time so the treats can set up. It’s perfect for a hot summer day when turning the oven on to bake is a no-go (I should know, as our AC is broken and won’t be fixed until Wednesday in the middle of a 90 degree week).
Give these crispy treats a try and let me know how much you love them by sharing your photos and tagging me @theardentcook on Instagram! Enjoy!
3 cups rice crisp cereal, such as One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps
1 10oz bag marshmallows, such as Dandies
6 tablespoons salted butter
¾ cup shelled roasted and salted pistachios, chopped, divided
3oz bittersweet chocolate chips (about ½ cup)
Flaky sea salt
Coconut oil, for greasing
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish completely with foil (including sides) and grease with coconut oil.
- In a large, deep-sided pan, melt the butter. Add in the marshmallows and fold with a rubber spatula until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and add the rice cereal and ½ cup of the chopped pistachios, stirring gently until everything is combined. Press the mixture into the greased pan using a rubber spatula or greased hands.
- Chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, until the treats are set. While you wait, melt the chocolate.
- Remove treats from the pan and discard foil. Drizzle with the melted chocolate and sprinkle with remaining chopped pistachios and flaky sea salt. Slice into squares and serve at room temperature. Enjoy!