Harissa Chicken Chopped Salad is a healthy main-course salad that still feels hearty and keeps you full. Loaded with crisp veggies, salty feta, and slightly spicy harissa chicken thighs, this salad is perfect for a weeknight or busy weekend meal. To save even more time, you can buy pre-marinated harissa chicken thighs from everyone’s favorite grocer, Trader Joe’s, or try my delicious copycat recipe, available here. I love topping this salad with a quick homemade lemony herb dressing (details included in recipe), but if you aren’t in the mood to make your own, I would highly recommend a store-bought ranch.
Ingredients needed to make Harissa Chicken Chopped Salad
My recipe for Harissa Chicken Chopped Salad includes some of my favorite veggies to add to a salad, but don’t let me stop you there. In my experience, the more a salad has in it, the better it gets. This would also be delicious with some halved cherry tomatoes, a different kind of cheese, fresh corn, roasted broccoli, etc. The options for customization are endless! Here’s the full list of ingredients for the salad:
- Romaine lettuce
- Harissa chicken thighs (recipe here)
- Radishes (I love watermelon radishes in this salad)
- Feta cheese
- Pomegranate arils
- Crispy chickpeas
If you also want to make my favorite easy dressing that compliments this salad perfectly, here’s what you’ll need:
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Tools used to make Harissa Chicken Chopped Salad
This salad comes together using the most minimal of kitchen tools. All you need is a few kitchen staples and you’re ready to eat! I used the following tools to make this salad happen:
- Large cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Large mixing bowl or serving plate
- Small mixing bowl, optional if making homemade dressing
- Measuring cups and spoons, optional if making homemade dressing
- Whisk, optional if making homemade dressing
- Air fryer, optional if making homemade crispy chickpeas
How to make Harissa Chicken Chopped Salad
This dish is as simple as chopping and plating. If you plan to make your own harissa chicken thighs using my recipe, you’ll want to do that as the first step. The chicken thighs don’t take very long as they’re absolutely worth the effort, trust me!
You’ll begin by chopping everything you need for the salad, including the lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, avocado, and cilantro. Add it all to a large mixing bowl or serving plate, crumble the feta and sprinkle the pomegranate arils on top, then add the crispy chickpeas. You can make these using a simple recipe for Air Fryer crispy chickpeas, available here, or just grab a bag of them already made from the store.
To make the lemony herb dressing, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Alternatively, you could add all ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender for an even smoother consistency, but I personally enjoy the texture of the chopped herbs in this dressing. Both methods are excellent and the flavor remains the same!
Slice the chicken and add it to the salad, then drizzle all over with the lemony herb dressing (or dressing of your choice)! It’s so good and the perfect hearty salad for any day of the week.
Looking for other simple, healthy recipes?
Try these ideas from The Ardent Cook
2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
Harissa Chicken Thighs, cooked and chopped (store-bought available at Trader Joe’s, or homemade)
1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
Handful of assorted radishes, thinly sliced
1 avocado, quartered
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
1/2 cup crispy chickpeas (store-bought, or homemade)
1/8 cup cilantro, chopped, for serving
For the Lemony Herb Dressing
⅛ cup tahini
Juice and zest of 1 whole lemon
1 TBSP dijon mustard
⅛ cup finely chopped cilantro
3 TBSP water, or more if thinner consistency is desired
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the chopped lettuce, cucumber, carrots, radishes, avocado, and cilantro in a large mixing bowl or arrange on a serving plate. Crumble the feta and scatter the pomegranate arils and crispy chickpeas on top.
- Make the dressing, if using. Add the tahini, lemon juice and zest, dijon mustard, cilantro, water, salt, and pepper to a small mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the salad. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately. To store in the fridge, do not dress the salad. Leftovers keep very well undressed in an airtight container, with the dressing added once you are ready to eat. Enjoy!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for your continued support of The Ardent Cook, it does not go unnoticed.